TELL US ABOUT IT
WRITE FOR OUR BLOG
CHECK OUT OUR LATEST BLOG POSTS HERE!
Like us on Facebook. Find out about LATAM's Latest Research papers, Blog posts in Vox.LACEA, Opportunities for economists, news, etc.
Follow us on Twitter @VOXLACEA
Check the new entries of LACER-LACEA repository.
The process to elect the Vice President for the period 2020-2021 (to become President for the period 2022-2023) and six new members of the Executive Committee for the period 2020-2023, is now open and will close on November 17th, 2019 at midnight. You may submit your vote online here. Please remember that your LACEA membership must be active and you must login on our web-page in order to vote. To become a member please click here: Membership plans. Please cast your votes only once as indicated. Once you submit your votes, attempts to cast additional votes will make all your votes void. Submit your vote here.
The 2019 LACEA LAMES meetings will be held in the city of Puebla, Mexico, hosted by the Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla (BUAP) on November 7, 8 and 9, 2019. Do not forget to register here in order to attend the meeting. For more information, please click here.
The Research Institute for Development, Growth and Economics (RIDGE), the Interamerican Development Bank and the Oficina de Planeamiento y Presupuesto (OPP) are pleased to announce a call for papers for the 2nd LACEA BRAIN Conference to be held in Montevideo (Torre Ejecutiva, Plaza Independencia 710) Montevideo, Uruguay, on May 20-22nd, 2020. Full papers, written in English, must be submitted for consideration for the workshop via the website: http://www.ridge.uy/paper-submission/lacea-brain-may-2020/, before January 15, 2020. The cover page should include: the title of the paper, institutional affiliation, including address, phone and email of each author and an abstract with the appropriate JEL classification. Papers should be submitted as pdf and the file should be saved as follows: “Surname of author, name of author, title of paper.pdf”. More information here
LACEA is pleased to announce that ECONOMIA, LACEA's journal, has been accepted for coverage in Thomson's Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI), as a first step in its process of full accreditation with Thompson Social Science Citation Index (SSCI). Also, to improve timeliness and usefulness of access, from 2018 onwards the journal will be distributed to LACEA's members in electronic format rather than in print. For more information, please click here.
Visit some of the September 2019 and October 2019 Blog Posts
- Apoyemos a quienes cuidan de nuestros hijos. Marta Rubio-Codina, Marta Dormal, María Caridad Araujo. Post date: Wednesday, 18 September 2019
- A universal child grant in Brazil: what must we do, and what can we expect from it?. Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares, Graziela Ansiliero, Aline Diniz Amaral, Pedro H. G. Ferreira de Souza. Post date: Friday, 20 September 2019
- Desigualdad de género en América Latina: Un largo camino por recorrer. Rosangela Bando, Samuel Berlinski, José Martinez Carrasco. Post date: Monday, 23 September 2019
- The need for tax reform in Brazil - guidelines for moving forward. Rodrigo Octávio Orair (Institute for Applied Economic Research (Ipea) and International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth - IPC-IG), Sergio Wulff Gobetti /Ipea). Post date: Wednesday, 25 September 2019
- When Tax Hikes Doom Governments at the Polls. Carlos Scartascini. Post date: Friday, 27 September 2019
- The impacts of social protection benefits on behaviours potentially related to inclusive growth: a literature review. Luis Henrique Paiva (Institute for Applied Economic Research - Ipea), Santiago Falluh Varella (United Nations Children’s Fund - UNICEF). Post date: Monday, 30 September 2019
- Un sistema de transporte masivo que mejora la productividad. Steven Ambrus. Post date: Wednesday, 2 October 2019
- De la incertidumbre a la oportunidad: ¿Cómo puede Centroamérica reaccionar ante nuevos retos internacionales? By: Marta Ruiz-Arranz (Asesora Económica Principal, Gerencia de México y Centroamérica del Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo - BID), Jennifer Linares (Economista, Gerencia de México y Centroamérica del Banco Interamericano de Desarrollo - BID). Post date: Friday, 4 October 2019
- Cómo el gasto social en México redujo la pobreza y la desigualdad del ingreso. By: Frederic Lambert. Post date: Monday, 7 October 2019
- The effects of Brazil’s Bolsa Família programme on poverty and inequality: an assessment of the first 15 years. By: Pedro H. G. Ferreira. de Souza, Rafael Guerreiro Osorio, Luis Henrique Paiva, Sergei Soares. Post date: Wednesday, 9 October 2019
What happened to Latin America's 'missing middle'.
Jaana Remes (Partner, McKinsey Global Institute), Homi Kharas (Interim Vice President and Director - Global Economy and Development, Brookings Institution, USA). Post date: Friday, 11 October 2019
The Financial Stability and Development Network of Central Banks of the Research Department of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB
), and the Central Bank of Chile
, invite submissions for a research conference on “Financial Frictions: Macroeconomic Implications and Policy Options for Emerging Economies
. There is no charge for submissions. The deadline for submissions is November 15, 2019. More information here
The President of the International Economic Association (IEA) and the Program Chair of the Nineteenth World Congress of the IEA invite you to submit a paper to the contributed sessions of this triennial congress before November 15, 2019, jointly organized with the Ministry of Finance of Indonesia, that will be held in Bali, Indonesia from July 3 to July 7, 2020. The 2020 IEA World Congress will be a unique academic event which, in addition to the daily keynote lectures, numerous policy sessions and the many invited sessions, will host the latest and most engaging research in Any Field in economics in the many contributed sessions. The Congress will provide an excellent forum to present one’s own research results. More information here
ECONOMÍA Journal was initially established as the “Revista Economía” of the Department of Economics of the Pontificia Universidad Católica of Peru (PUCP) in 1977. It is the oldest academic journal on economics in the country, but has now been relaunched as an internationally refereed journal dedicated to publishing original academic research on economics in English, with an expanded and prestigious Editorial Board, as well as a large team of Associated Editors that guarantee the highest theoretical and methodological standards. The journal welcomes academic articles of high standards in the following (non-restrictive) areas: macroeconomics, microeconomics, history of economic thought, regional economy, economic history, labor market, economic fluctuations, economic growth, poverty, econometrics, applied economics, economic theory, finances, socio-economic development, environment, energy, health, education, economic policy, exchange rate, inflation, institutions, corruption, crime. To make a submission, please follow this link. More information here
The Global Development Network (GDN) is calling for expressions of interest from research teams based in research institutions in developing countries to act as national focal points for GDN’s Doing Research Program. As National Focal Points, the teams would be expected to mobilize research and have experience in research of the education, research or innovation sectors of their countries. Applications accepted on a rolling basis. Click here to apply
The Department of Economics at Universidad de los Andes invites applications for tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning in the Fall term of 2020. Candidates must show promise of outstanding scholarly achievement and have earned a Ph.D. degree by the appointment start date or shortly thereafter. Proficiency in Spanish is not required. Teaching in English is welcome. The submission deadline is November 29th, 2019 (PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS EARLIER THAN MOST DEADLINES). More information here
The Wesleyan University Economics Department invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professorship to begin July 1, 2020 from scholars with primary research interests in applied econometrics and also labor, urban, or education economics. The new faculty member will contribute to the Department’s introductory and major core programs. The deadline for application is November 29, 2019. More information here
The Wesleyan University Economics Department invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professorship to begin July 1, 2020 from scholars with research interests in macroeconomics, particularly those with an interest in open economy macroeconomics. Candidates must have received a Ph.D. in Economics by the time of appointment to be hired as an Assistant Professor. The application deadline is November 29, 2019. More information here
The School of Economics at Universidad del Rosario (Bogota, Colombia) seeks qualified candidates to fill at least two positions beginning in the fall 2020. We accept applications in any field of Economics, and the primary focus of our search is at the tenure track Assistant Professor level; however, exceptional candidates might also be considered for a tenured position (Associate/Full). Candidates should demonstrate excellence in scholarship and teaching in a manner appropriate to career stage. All candidates must apply online through JOE. Applications must be received by December 1, 2019 to be guaranteed full consideration. More information here
The School of Economics and Finance at Universidad EAFIT in Medellin-Colombia is inviting applications for full-time tenure track or tenured professors in economics and finance, with salary and rank open, to begin in the Fall of 2020 or earlier if possible. Applicants must have a PhD by the starting date or shortly thereafter, and show promise of a strong research agenda.The application deadline is December 10, 2019. More information here
For more opportunities, please click here